A patient arrives in the emergency department after being burned in a house fire. The patients burns cover the face and the left forearm. What extent of burns does the patient most likely have?

Answer Explanation: When estimating the percentage of body area or burn surface area that has been burned, the Rule of Nines is used: the face is 9%, and the forearm is 9% for a total of 18% in this patient.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *